cooper dot se.

this page is called cooper.se because it represents much of my thought since studying for a semester in sweden in the spring of 2005. this thought process has continued on down to the beginnings of my real adult life....what comes next? let's talk about it....and many other things of course.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

if we only knew.

this post is going to be about iraq, something I devote a lot of thought to, but I have yet to really digest much in the form of writing, be it in a journal or on an online weblog.

my post is dedicated to my fellow americans, but also to iraqis. I mainly fear that there is a tremendous misunderstanding of the iraq war in the united states on both sides of the aisle. I fear the both liberals and conservatives do not undestand what is at stake and do not understand the kind of battle for power and supremacy that is taking place in iraq.

to the conservatives of america, do you have any idea the scope and the scale of the iraqi insurgency? how many photographs have you seen of someone loading a mortar rocket?



how many photographs of blown up bradley fighting vehicles have we seen on the evening news?



not so many. do you understand the danger that american soldiers face? perhaps. do you understand the even greater danger that iraqi civilians face? perhaps. when was the last time we saw someone lying in a hospital in the united states because his arms were just blown off in an explosion?



to the liberals of america I would actually ask just about the same questions. while I have a complex opinion about war and military force that is always changing, I do think that many liberals underestimate just how intense the battle for power is in iraq. leaving is just going to create more chaos and let the militias rule even more. from my comfortable viewpoint over here in america, it seems to me that what is happening in iraq right now is a power grab. pure and simple....



this militia, that militia. this amount of money for a kidnapping, that amount for a car bomb. the problem is like the chicken and the egg though. because american presence is supposedly needed in order to fight off "the terrorists," but the very presence of american forces is what gives many of the insurgents fuel for recruiting more people to jihad.



the heartbreak is just everywhere. families here in america who are saddened by the loss of their sons and daughters, fathers and mothers. countless families in iraq losing their own sons and daughters, fathers and mothers. I just don't know what to say about it. I really don't.

should america stay or go? how long is long enough? would america leaving help all the iraqis work together since the "foreign occupier" would be gone? or would it make things worse? sometimes I think the american military is able to protect certain parts of the country, but other times I think that it is nothing more than another part of the huge power grab going on in iraq, and that since america has a military presence in saudi arabia and bombed afghanistan and supports israel, they are especially good for killing. am I on the right track? I really don't know.

just please pray for iraq.

3 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, October 04, 2005 3:38:00 PM, Blogger Morbid Smile said…

    Hey friend,

    That's a very STRONG post! I asked myself the same questions once, but I never found the answers. And here you are asking them again, I don't know what to answer you!!

    Being an Iraqi who is living in this tottal mess, sure I would like it if the American troops get out of my country to be free again. BUT I don't know if this is the good thing to do in fact!

    Lets' think of the qoncequences, if they stay, more insurgents will come out, and more killings and bombings will happen excusing that they are fighting the occupasion!
    But if they go, what do you think will happen?.. CHAOS, I bet !

    And if they stay, then for how long should it be? I don't know really!
    Everything would be fine if we only knew!!



    Peace for you, friend. And keep up the good work, I'm reading your blog :)

     
  • At Monday, October 17, 2005 7:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey there, check out this site, for a guy who is working as an independent journalist in Amman and Baghdad, covering Iraq:

    http://www.aliveinbaghdad.org

     
  • At Friday, December 30, 2005 7:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey cooper,
    One thing that you have to agree with. Iraqis now have been granted freedom. Just look at the demonstrations and the countless blogs that have been popping up.

    Now is all that freedom worth it to the Iraqis???? I honestly don't know if it is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home