cooper dot se.

this page is called cooper.se because it represents much of my thought since studying for a semester in sweden in the spring of 2005. this thought process has continued on down to the beginnings of my real adult life....what comes next? let's talk about it....and many other things of course.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

This is What Blogs Are for, Right?

Greetings friends and loved ones. I am writing a new entry in the midst of a completely uneventful summer. It looks like my lack of planning in the lead up to graduation is coming back to haunt me. But I'm not here to whine about my summer. I'm going to rant a little. That is what blogs are for, right?

Driving home from Phoenix the other day, I had some sports radio on. An idiot-sounding radio host was talking about the World Cup and how he thought that Italy paid of Zidane to do the headbutt. This is not the part that made me angry though. He then started talking about how Americans just don't get soccer and never will. He said that his children can play it or whatever but he will always hand them a baseball bat and glove.

Then he proceeded to talk about how soccer was so stupid and the only reason it was popular was because any kid in any poor country can always kick around a ball. Our sports were clearly superior because you supposedly have to have money to play baseball, hockey or football.

Forget about the fact that Domincans are some of the best ballplayers in the world and that they play with sticks and stones. Or that eskimo kids have probably been playing some form of hockey for centuries. Clearly we shouldn't play soccer; that should be relegated to the poor of the world. We are far too better than that.

This kind of talk angers me so much. Guys like this just continue to feed the stereotype that people for the United States are arrogant, do not care about the rest of the world, and think that money is more important than things like tradition and family. This makes me so angry, but it also makes me happy that I can try and stand out in society by actually caring about the world around me.

GAHH!!KL!J!H!!!!!?!!

This book is in the process of changing my life:

Currently Reading
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
By John Perkins
see related

2 Comments:

  • At Thursday, July 13, 2006 2:11:00 AM, Blogger a girl said…

    humm. good post.
    i'm all excited about the blog world right now. we'll see how long i stay interested.
    waste of space? bahh. no.
    i think i am going to visit kari and the clark next weekend!
    good luck on your job searches.

     
  • At Friday, July 14, 2006 11:04:00 AM, Blogger a girl said…

    er. i feel weird posting again, after you haven't updated!! yeah. i just officially accepted that teaching job. i would go to utah for a few months during the winter to teach the girls ... while they ski ... professionally. http://www.pictureplan.info/g/0/solitudechalet.html - that's the link to the place i will be staying.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home