cooper dot se.

this page is called cooper.se because it represents much of my thought since studying for a semester in sweden in the spring of 2005. this thought process has continued on down to the beginnings of my real adult life....what comes next? let's talk about it....and many other things of course.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

the war at home.

things are heating up. no, I am not talking about the weather. in fact, as I type this there are about 2 inches (6cm) of snow falling here in chicago.

I'm talking about the debate about the war in iraq. I believe the united states has entered an extremely crucial point in the public debate about the war and the course of the war itself. it began a few weeks ago with the call by democratic senator john murtha for the united states to immediately withdraw its troops.

this is no ordinary call. this man served in vietnam and was a huge supporter of the war before. here on campus at north park university, it is becoming increasingly more rare to find people who really want the united states in iraq.

my wish is that we could be more educated about the situation. no one, and I mean no one, talks about the war anymore. I never see it on cnn, I barely read about it in the newspaper (american and british) and few people on campus talk about it. if only I could come visit and see for myself....

2 Comments:

  • At Saturday, December 10, 2005 9:23:00 PM, Blogger programmer craig said…

    Cooper, I doubt anybody was in favor of the war at your university before, were they?

    Murtha gets a pass (in my book) for these two reasons:

    1) He's an ex-Marine, and so am I

    2) I'm not sure I disagree with him

    But that doesn't mean I agree with the leftists, who in my opinion are motivated solely by their domestic political agendas. I don't WANT them on my side, and I don't want to be on THEIR side.

    This debate on withdrawal is not taking place amongst leftists. They made up their minds 3 years ago, and have nothing to discuss. The debate is occuring amongst people like me, and maybe people like you.

    Re: The human cost of the war. The lack of the display of US casualties, etc...

    We lost more troops in 3 days at the battle of Tarawa than we've lost in 3 years in Iraq.

    Some perspective is called for.

     
  • At Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:36:00 PM, Blogger Bassam Sebti said…

    hey dude...

    Guess what am i going to do after NY and DC? i am going to be in Chicago Illinois during Christmas as i'll be there with one of my best friend's family. i guess i can see u there!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home